Go to Unsolved Mystery Publications Main Index Go to Free account page
Go to frequently asked mystery questions Go to Unsolved Mystery Publications Main Index
Welcome: to Unsolved Mysteries 1 2 3
 New Mystery StoryNew Unsolved Mystery UserLogon to Unsolved MysteriesRead Random Mystery StoryChat on Unsolved MysteriesMystery Coffee houseGeneral Mysterious AdviceSerious Mysterious AdviceReplies Wanted on these mystery stories

Show Stories by
Recently Updated
Wanting Replies
Recently Replied to
Site Suggestions
Highest Rated
Most Rated
General Advice

Ancient Beliefs
Angels, God, Spiritual
Conspiracy Theories
Dream Interpretation
Embarrassing Moments
General Interest
Household tips
Human Interest
Humor / Jokes
In Recognition of
Lost Friends/Family
Missing Persons
Mysterious Happenings
Mysterious Sounds
Near Death Experience
Ouija Mysteries
Out of Body Experience
Party Line
Psychic Advice
Religious / Religions
Serious Advice
Strictly Fiction
Unsolved Crimes
Urban Legends
USM Events and People
USM Games
In Memory of
Self Help
Search Stories:

Stories By AuthorId:

Web Site   

Bookmark and Share

Exorcisms that have ended in death...

  Author:  25828  Category:(Religious) Created:(2/9/2001 1:24:00 PM)
This post has been Viewed (38164 times)

CRUCIFIX-STUFFING MARIO GARCIA, from Pawtucket, Rhode Island, punctured his 47-year-old mother-in-law’s esophagus, when he jammed two 8in (20cm) steel crucifixes down her throat during an exorcism on 31 March 1996. Garcia’s wife, father-in-law, brother-in-law and three children under 10 had gathered round and prayed during the exorcism, when Garcia burned leaves and addressed the demons only he could see. Garcia, 31, was screaming "The devil is inside her!" when police arrived to find the woman on the front porch, blood pouring from her mouth. The family told police that Garcia first performed an exorcism on the woman’s son, depressed about his mother who had been acting strangely. However, the devil flew out of the son and into the mother. The woman was in critical condition, but the absence of subsequent reports suggests she survived. Pawtucket (RI) Times, [AP] 3 April 1996.

PAUL JAMES MARTIN, a 25-year-old Maori from Auckland, forced a crucifix and a piece of wood up the nose of his girlfriend, Carolyn Shea, with such force that it entered her brain. She was critically ill, but was expected to survive. The attack took place in December 1997 after Shea called in a Catholic priest to perform an exorcism. Martin was supported during his trial by the Maori victim and several Maori Christian priests who said they believed he had been under the influence of an evil spirit or makutu. The New Zealand High Court made legal history by accepting this reasoning and let Martin off with a two-year suspended sentence. [AFP] D.Telegraph, 24 Mar 1998.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- THE VOLLMER CASE MR AND MRS VOLLMER ran a small piggery outside Antwerp, near Dimboola in western Victoria. They were part of a ‘charismatic’ breakaway Lutheran sect with some connection to the Salvation Army. Ralph Vollmer, 54, returned to his farm on 26 January 1993 to find his wife Joan, 49, barefoot in a nearby wheat field, "doing some sort of a war dance and making strange noises." She had been diagnosed schizophrenic in 1991 and Meryle Blake said afterwards that her friend finally cracked under the strain of her husband’s religious mania and parsimony. "The only place he ever took Joan was to church", she said.

Vollmer telephoned his church associate John Reichenbach, who drove over and diagnosed demonic possession. For the next three days, the two men, along with Reichenbach’s wife Leanne, read the Bible over the afflicted woman, sang choruses and commanded the demons to depart. The exorcism team were joined by two more members of the church group, including David Klingner. They pinned Joan Vollmer to a mattress, oriented east-west so that she could derive no strength from "evil spirits of the north".

The afflicted woman went through "dramatic mood changes" and her stomach swelled up. Her husband said she was possessed by "eight or ten" demons, including "the spirit of abuse", "the spirit of filth" and Jezebel, who would try her hand at enticement. "At other times she was Legion", said Vollmer, "the demon from the Bible with the strength of 2,000, and she would be so powerful we could hardly hold her. Then she was a pig and a dog and would make sounds and pull faces, and then a shearer who spoke in a rough voice."

Finally, there were evil spirits called "Princess Joan" and "Princess Baby Joan", who, Reichenbach told Vollmer, had attached themselves to Joan’s womb when she was three and had been fighting to control her ever since.

On Friday, 29 January, the amateur exorcists called in a reputed expert, a tall, 22-year-old assistant greenkeeper at Melbourne’s Ringwood Municipal Golf Club called Matthew Nuske. It was his first exorcism, but he immediately took charge, ordering that all Joan Vollmer’s possessions – even her garden plants – should be destroyed. For two hours, he shouted at her demons to depart. All did, except Princess Joan and Princess Baby Joan, who were clutching each other in her stomach and wouldn’t move. The group all set about the poor woman, holding her down, pressing on her stomach and holding her mouth and eyes open. She hissed, cried and foamed at the mouth, actions interpreted as proof that the devils were being routed. Then, on 30 January, she gave a final groan and died.

Nuske told Vollmer "not to worry because God would bring her back to life shortly". He then departed, while the others remained praying over the weekend – in sweltering 40 degree summer heat – for the corpse to revive. "It didn’t happen", said Vollmer. On Monday they finally reported the death.

In November 1994, Vollmer and Nuske were found guilty of unlawful imprisonment, while Reichenbach and Klingner were convicted of manslaughter. Wellington (NZ) Eve. Post, 4+5 Feb, 23 April, 17 Sept; Wellington Dominion, 4 Feb, 14+16 Sept; Canberra Times, 4 Feb; Brisbane Courier Mail, 4+7 Feb, 4 Nov; Who, 22 Feb; Melbourne Age, 16 Sept; Sydney Morning Herald, 18 Sept 1993; Southern Cross, 26 Oct; Canberra Times, 3 Dec 1994.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- EXPELLING DJINNS FARIDA PATEL, 22, of Ilford, east London, believed herself to be possessed by djinns, which threatened to cut out her tongue if she praised Allah. She had married in India in the summer of 1993 and was upset when immigration problems prevented her husband coming to England. Her face became distorted, she spoke in a man’s voice, assumed an old lady’s posture and talked of djinns pushing her. The family called in a 47-year-old Syrian woman called Mouna Rai, a Sunni Muslim teacher, who conducted an exorcism with the help of her friend Siraj Tutla, Farida’s sister, Rabiya, and her brother, Hafiz. On 8 December 1993, Rai beat Farida with a plastic vacuum cleaner pipe and a walking stick for over five hours, interspersed with readings from the Koran. The attack was repeated for over four hours the following day. Rai jumped up and down on Farida’s stomach and chest, fracturing nine ribs. Rai, Tutla, and Hafiz were found guilty of manslaughter. Rai, described as an "arrogant charlatan", was jailed for seven years; Tutla for three years, and Farida’s siblings for one year. Hafiz’s sentence was cut to three months on appeal. Times, 12 Oct; D.Telegraph, 26 Oct, 25+26 Nov, 21 Dec; D.Mail, 12 Oct, 26 Nov; Scotsman, Independent, 26 Nov, 21 Dec; Guardian, 12+21+26 Dec 1994; D.Telegraph, 20 Jan 1995.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- LOUISE LARDJOURNE, 19, a French woman of Algerian descent, died in Roubaix, northern France, on 1 July 1994 after her brother Tahar, 44, convinced that she was possessed by the Devil, called in Imam Mohammed Kerazi to exorcise her. Lardjourne had been suffering from epileptiform seizures since undergoing brain surgery in 1993. With the help of Morad Selmane, the head of the local mosque, the Imam tortured the young woman for five hours. They forced her to drink gallons of salt water, beat the soles of her feet with a reed and squeezed her neck to force out the devil. The three men were charged with murder. [AFP] 4 July 1994.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- TWO DAUGHTERS KICKED and punched their mother to death in Cairo in August 1994. Abir, 21, and her sister Hoda, 18, said their mother was "possessed by the djinn [genie]" and had often said incomprehensible things. The women "decided to expel the djinn from their mother so she would return to her normal state." The sisters were sent to a state mental hospital. [AFP] 13 Sept; [R] 5 Dec 1994.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FOUR MEMBERS OF a small Muslim fundamentalist group in northern Egypt were sentenced to 10 years in jail with hard labour in March 1996 for killing a 10-year-old girl they said they were trying to exorcise. Faith healers in Egypt killed 47 people and injured another 98 in 1995 by beating them to drive out evil spirits. Among the injured were 11 who had gone blind. Police had made 224 arrests. [AFP] 1 Jan; [R] 22 Mar 1996.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- SUFFER THE CHILDREN A PARTICULARLY BIZARRE case of death-by-exorcism unfolded in New Zealand in May 1994. On 26 November that year, Janice and Lindsay Gibson were found not guilty of murder, being victims of folie a deux. Janice, 33, joined the fundamentalist Apostolic Church in the small North Island town of Inglewood in 1993. She believed she had been cured of a bad back at a faith healing session and began attending regularly. As 1994 opened, the couple were caught up in a vortex of powerful, hyper-manic energy. On 16 May, Lindsay stayed home from work because his wife told him the demons would get him. By now she believed she was God and had convinced her husband of this too. He ceased calling her Janice and referred to her as "God". The next day, Janice slapped her two-year-old daughter Emily on the face for five or 10 minutes to beat the devil out of her. Her eldest daughter, Darlene, 17, was ordered to hold the toddler down while the drubbing continued. Darlene left the house in tears to stay with a friend.

Later that day, a workmate of Lindsay’s, Roger Laurenson, visited the house to check on Lindsay. Janice ordered him to kneel before her and screamed: "I can feel Jesus in the tips of these fingers!" Lindsay appeared, chanting "Bah bah bah", lifted Laurenson’s shirt, squeezed his stomach and told him to vomit because he was possessed. Janice, meanwhile, slapped his face. Laurenson hastened to his boss, Thomas Valentine, to describe the mad scene. Valentine then paid a visit and found Lindsay with his head in a bucket, vomiting. "This is what happens when you sin!" yelled Janice.

Valentine contacted the police and that night the Gibson house was visited by a social worker, a doctor, a mental health professional and three policemen. They were met by a hissing Janice, who told the chief police officer that he was possessed. The mental health professional, David Bruce, urged the doctor to provide a medical certificate allowing Janice to be detained. The doctor refused, saying she was simply a religious fanatic. After confiscating a number of guns, the team departed.

The next day, the couple were convinced they were surrounded by demons. They smashed crockery, burned furniture and threw possessions out of the house. The remaining three children, including son Dane, 12, lent a hand. Lindsay took two "evil" pet mice outside, ripped off their heads and tails and buried the remains in separate holes in the lawn. A meal was cooked and eaten, but then Janice ordered her family to vomit up the food and "piss their pants". She stripped Dane and expelled him from the house, where he stood shivering in the darkness. All he had to wear was a jumper which had been thrown from the house earlier.

Janice now decided he was the devil incarnate and ordered Lindsay to hold him down while she exorcised him. This was done with such force that the boy’s wrist was broken. Janice took a broken concrete block and hit her son repeatedly on the head as he screamed for help, pleading that he believed. The parents thought that if they slowly drew Dane’s body back into the house the devil would go and he would be resurrected as a "beautiful person". Alarmed by the screams at the Gibson house, neighbours called the police, who found a naked Lindsay in the back yard still holding down the boy, who was barely alive. Lindsay would not lift his head to look at his wife, believing it was a blasphemy to look at "God". The other two children, aged five and two, lay unharmed on a sofa inside the house. When ambulancemen arrived, Janice yelled: "He’s already dead. We killed him, you stupid man, like the first Jesus". [R] 26 Nov 1994.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- KIRA CANHOTO, a two-year-old girl in Kitchener, Ontario, was believed to be possessed by a demon. In January 1995, her mother, Maria Canhoto, 22, her grandmother, Ana Maria Canhoto, 43, and Daniel Aguiar, 56, restrained the girl and forced her to drink huge quantities of water, which killed her. Victoria (BC) Times-Colonist, 21 Jan 1995; 11+27 Jan, 13 April 1996.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ROSA WILKERSON, 46, and her daughter Angelic Burney, 25, killed five-year-old Amy Burney, the latter’s daughter, in New York around 27 April 1997. In an attempt to exorcise demons that caused Amy to have tantrums, the two women tied her down, forced her to swallow a lethal potion of ammonia, vinegar, cayenne pepper, black pepper and olive oil and taped her mouth so that she wouldn’t spit it out. After she died, the women kept her body in the apartment for a week before leaving it at the curb in a rubbish bag. Police charged the women with second-degree murder and "depraved indifference", and planned to search the Fresh Kills landfill at the Staten Island dump for the body. NY Daily News, 19 May; USA Today, 20 May 1997.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FIVE-YEAR-OLD BREEANN Spickard was beaten to death on 5 July 1996 during an exorcism in Baldwin Park, Los Angeles, performed by her mother Deborah Elizabeth Reynolds, with the help of Julia Ann Olivas, 36, and Esther Rebecca Griggs, 43. They had been taking methamphetamine. Olivas and Griggs held the girl down while her mother whipped her buttocks with a wooden cheeseboard for two hours, stripping away several layers of skin. Olivas also jumped on the girl’s back. All three women were convicted of murder in October 1997. Los Angeles Times, 15 Oct 1997.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ANNE ORIESO, 36, from New Cross, South London, strangled her "naughty" five-year-old son Sylvester in November 1997 to drive out demons and kept his body in her flat for days believing he would wake "healed". In September 1998, Ortioso, who had come to Britain from Nigeria in 1983, was sent to a psychiatric unit for an indefinite period. Scotsman, 12 Sept 1998.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- KOREANS IN CALIFORNIA KYONG-A HA, a 25-year-old Korean woman from Emeryville, California, suffered insomnia for years. Medication proved ineffective, so her family turned to Jean Park, the minister of a 15-member sect called the Jesus-Amen Ministries, who said that Ha was possessed by demons. An attempted exorcism on 8 March 1995 by Park, her mother, Hwa Ja Ra, and three other woman lasted six hours until the victim was dead. She was struck 20 to 50 times on the chest, breaking at least 10 ribs. Eight members of the group stayed with the body for five days after Park told them that the woman’s spirit had gone to "great heaven" and that they should wait for it to come back. San Jose (CA) Mercury News, 17 Mar 1995.

KYUNG JAE CHUNG, a 53-year-old South Korean woman, died on 4 July 1996 in Century City, California, from internal injuries after a six-hour exorcism by her husband, Jae Whoa Chung, 49, with the help of Jin Choi, 46, and Sung Foo Choi, 41, (no relation), all Methodist missionaries. The woman endured two three-hour sessions, participating willingly at first. She was found to have 16 broken ribs and collapsed lungs. Jae Whoa Chung and Sung Foo Choi were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter. LA Times, 6+15 July; [AFP] 8 July, 7 Aug; Chicago Tribune, 28 Aug 1996; [AP] 17 April 1997. KILLING THE BEARWALKER LEON JACKO, a 19-year-old Ojibway Indian, was acquitted in Ontario in May 1997 of manslaughter in the bludgeoning death of Ron Thompson, 45, who was reputed to be a bearwalker – a powerful, shape-shifting demon that uses sorcery to trigger sickness in people and even kill them. The judge accepted evidence that Jacko believed he was defending himself from Thompson when he hit him with a ceremonial walrus bone the size of a baseball bat on 30 June 1995 at the Sheguiandah reserve on Manitoulin Island, Ontario, where both men lived. Victoria (BC) Times-Colonist, 22+23+24+29+30 May; Toronto Globe & Mail, 30+31 May 1997.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- LETHAL CULTS IN JULY 1995, six decomposing bodies were found in the home of faith healer Sachiko Eto, 47, in Sukagawa, Japan. Arrested with three followers, Eto said she beat her clients – and encouraged them to beat each other – to exorcise evil spirits. Time, 17 July 1995.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- SIX MEMBERS OF the United Pentacostal Church of Brazil were arrested in December 1998 accused of beating and kicking to death three adults and three children they believed to be possessed by the devil. The killings began on 14 November in a remote rubber plantation on the Amazon, 1860 miles (3,000km) northwest of São Paulo, when the pastor, Francisco Bezerra de Moraes, known as Toto, announced during a sermon that he could hear voices from Jesus ordering a former leader of the group and all his followers to be punished. Police confirmed the killings only on 30 November after Francisco Oliveira de Franca, the former leader of the group, escaped with the news. Toto, his wife and two other men began by whipping and stamping on the worshippers in a tiny church on the plantation, focal point for the 30-member sect. They then engaged in more torture in nearby shacks. D.Telegraph, 2 Dec 1998.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Investigators believe the Belgian woman who died after an apparent sect ritual in Spain was suffocated while performing an act supposed to "purify" her body, a Spanish newspaper El Pais reported on 23 March. The woman was believed to have been subjected to a ceremony during which other sect members covered her with a blanket and sat on her to interrupt her breathing. The lack of oxygen causes the body to convulse and eventually to urinate and defecate, which the Paris-based sect sees as purification of the body that can lengthen a person's life. But while taking part in the ritual on 21 March in the town of Villajoyosa in southeastern Spain, the woman – a mother of two in her 30s – went into cardiac arrest. Three Spaniards, including the woman's husband, were detained in connection with her death, police said. State radio had said on 22 March the woman was involved in a satanic ritual, but the El Pais report made no mention of devil worship. The newspaper cited the victim's mother as denying her daughter belonged to a sect. [R] 24 Mar 1999.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- OTHER CASES CHEUNG KIU HO, 48, believed her body had been invaded by snakes and worms and that only her brother, Chi Wah To, 42, who claimed that he had once been invaded by spirits, could help her. In October 1993 she went to stay with him in Norwich, where he ran a restaurant. Neighbours heard screams and saw Mr Chi stamping on something. Mrs Cheung was found to be dead. A post mortem showed fractures to most of her ribs, a lacerated liver and multiple internal injuries. Mr Chi, who said he had been trying to stamp out evil spirits that had possessed his sister, was jailed for five years. Guardian, D.Record, 13 Sept 1994.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NICHOLAS SOGUNRO, 27, a renegade Baptist from East Ham, east London, believed that his fiancée, Mary Odegbami, 26, was possessed by the Devil after she said she didn’t want to marry him. With the help of his disciple, Thomas Macauley, 25, Sogunro locked her in a bedroom, starved and beat her for 14 days in April 1994, force-feeding her with "communion" wine and bread. According to Macauley, she died after Sogunro said: "In the name of Jesus Christ, I command the Angels of Execution to kill this body." They tried to resurrect her for three days, after which the body was sealed for nearly a year in the back room of a house that Sogunro had made into his church. Sogunro was jailed for six years, Macauley for 18 months. Guardian, 17 Oct, 2 Dec; D.Telegraph, 2 Dec 1995.

SOMMAI CHAIPANYA, a 38-year-old mother of two, died in Udon Thani, Thailand, in April 1996 from ritualistic beatings to her head and genitals with a dried stingray tail, administered by Tip Dongsaengkaew, 57, a female shaman. She had at first agreed to the beatings, which her family suggested as a way to get rid of evil spirits. But she later fled to escape them and refused to pay a £100 fee. The shaman abducted her and continued the ritual until she died. Dongsaengkaew was charged with murder. [AP] 22 April 1996.


You can join Unsolved Mysteries and post your own mysteries or
interesting stories for the world to read and respond to Click here

Scroll all the way down to read replies.

Show all stories by   Author:  25828 ( Click here )

Halloween is Right around the corner.. .

Date: 2/9/2001 2:54:00 PM  From Authorid: 15070    *crying*, why do we even need devil, when humans can do the job for him? this is such madness! look at the horrible, horrible things done in the name of "helping".  
Date: 2/9/2001 9:46:00 PM  From Authorid: 16671    I dont know why they would go through all that when I have seen many of the things you describe here, the foaming at the mouth, the growling like a dog or other animals, the zombie like stance that some would take and you would never know there was a human standing before you, I have seen peoples faces contort so badly in to the snout of a wolf or some other animal that it scares ya really bad, but these people that take things into their own hands like this without know that all you simply have to do is tell a demon to leave in the name of jesus and it works everytime, plus the person isnt dead when your done praying. It doesnt take hours it doesnt take shoving crosses down their throats, it doesnt take any of this, but I will tell you these demonic possesion are real, if you dont believe that spirits can attack people just go read LSG, story on Adam. This stuff happens.  
Date: 2/12/2001 9:07:00 PM  From Authorid: 15070    Firstborn, I WROTE the story about Adam....*smiles*  
Date: 2/24/2002 12:40:00 PM  From Authorid: 16376    I admit I only read through this a little bit, but that is kind of sad  

Find great Easter stories on Angels Feather
Information Privacy policy and Copyrights

Renasoft is the proud sponsor of the Unsolved Mystery Publications website.
See: www.rensoft.com Personal Site server, Power to build Personal Web Sites and Personal Web Pages
All stories are copyright protected and may not be reproduced in any form, except by specific written authorization

Pages:51 1112 1483 13 191 1047 1012 621 1182 1236 960 1228 4 39 1549 871 450 973 326 205 1455 1338 691 1531 216 442 20 1220 519 225 592 138 665 1487 110 72 993 508 231 555 607 478 1087 889 899 919 1012 972 1476 310 1467 921 1285 715 1164 1101 135 2 192 944 624 477 1341 1380 866 299 628 1258 413 1312 622 573 181 1269 167 890 1176 854 510 1368 415 1509 625 1589 59 459 935 1579 928 536